How would you like to travel back or forward in time? How would you like to help catch the villain in a crime novel? How about learning to play a sport of read about how to do something you have never done? With books all things are possible. You don’t have to dedicate a lot of time to reading. Just read when you have a few minutes each day or evening or even on a rainy weekend. In this post, I am going to help you make the right choice in finding a good book.
How do I find the right genre or books that I may like?
Nobody knows better than you what you may like. I am going to cover a few of the genres that are available when choosing a good book. I don’t want to insult your intelligence but this section certainly helped me when I wanted to read something interesting. There are so many good books out there and you can pick and choose your favorites.
– Action and Adventure– This type of book usually has you on the edge of your seat. This genre can cross over with mystery, sci-fi, crime and fantasy also.
– Classics- These books have stood the test of time and are usually older published books. They are never out of style and can take you back to a time when good literature was taught in school or just reading them for fun.
– Detective and Mystery- The story always revolves around a crime of sorts that must be solved by the hero.
– Fantasy – Fantasy books most always use the common elements of magic, mythology or the supernatural,
– Historical Fiction – These books are based in a time period set in the past, often against the backdrop of significant (real) historical events.
– Horror – These stories are meant to cause discomfort in the reader and often use the supernatural or paranormal to cause this discomfort. This genre is not for the faint of heart.
– Romance- The genre that makes your heart all warm and fuzzy focuses on the love story of the main hero/ine.
– Science Fiction (Sci-Fi) – Though they’re often thought of in the same genre as fantasy, what distinguishes science fiction stories is that they lean on stories of technology and future science.
– Fiction – Stories that are not true but the author can make the stories believable.
– Non-Fiction – Stories that are true. Biographies and Autobiographies fit in this category. These are stories of people’s life that can be written by the person about their life or written by another person about their life.
These are just a few of the many genres of books you can find to entice and intrigue your imagination. There are cookbooks and how-to books and so many other genres that can lead you into a love of reading (if you aren’t already there).
My Love of Books
I developed a love for good books and stories in school at an early age. I would often come home from school and read or sit down on the weekends with a good “Nancy Drew” mystery story and finish the whole book. Much later in life I became a middle school English teacher and developed an even deeper love for the Literature I was able to teach my students. Hopefully they also developed this love for Literature. Many have seen me over the years and reminded me of a good story we read in class.
If you have any questions or comments about genres, picking a good book or the inventory I have on my site, please don’t hesitate to send me a message.